US sends Iran response on nuclear deal as Israel warns of implications

Israeli Prime Minister Yair Lapid said on Wednesday that “on the table right now is a bad deal” which would give Teheran $100 billion a year to destabilise the Middle East.

An Iranian woman walks past a wall of the former US Embassy, with an anti-American mural painted, in Tehran. (AFP)

WASHINGTON, US- Iran has received Washington’s response to an EU-drafted final offer fto save Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with major powers, Iran’s foreign ministry said on Wednesday, giving no firm indication of how close they are to narrowing the remaining gaps.

After 16 months of fitful, indirect US-Iran talks, with EU officials shuttling between the two sides, EU foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said on August 8 the bloc had laid down a final text and expected a response within a “very, very few weeks.”

“This evening Iran received the US response through the European Union. The careful review of the response has started in Tehran,” said Iranian foreign ministry spokesman Nasser Kanaani.

“Iran will share its view with the EU, as the coordinator of the nuclear talks, upon completion of Tehran’s review.”

Iran last week responded to the EU’s text with “additional views and considerations” while calling on the United States to show flexibility to resolve three remaining issues.

US State Department spokesman Ned Price confirmed that Washington had responded to Tehran’s comments on the EU text. “Our review of those comments has now concluded. We have responded to the EU today,” he said.

Oil prices ended higher on Wednesday after a volatile trading session on concerns that the United States will not consider additional concessions to Iran to restore Tehran’s nuclear deal and thus the OPEC member’s crude exports.

Read more of this report

Visited 117 times, 1 visit(s) today

Comments are closed.