Morocco: Earthquake Death Toll Crosses 2000 As Offers Of Help Start To Pour In
By PTI |
The number of people killed in Friday night’s devastating earthquake in Morocco has crossed 2000 mark. A deadly, powerful earthquake that struck Morocco has caused widespread damage in and around the city of Marrakesh.
China Think Tank’s Commentary Gives Hint Morocco has revised upward the death toll from a powerful earthquake that shook Marrakesh and surrounding regions. The Interior Ministry said late Saturday that 2,012 people were killed when the temblor struck late Friday. The toll is expected to rise as rescuers struggled to reach hard-hit remote areas.
The ministry said the highest number of deaths were recorded in Al Haouz province, with 1,293 killed; and Taroudant, with 452. At least 2,059 people were injured, including 1,404 critically. The government also announced three days of national mourning. The magnitude 6.8 quake on Friday was the biggest to hit the North African country in 120 years.
Israeli Defence Minister Yoav Gallant held a phone call with his Moroccan counterpart to express Israel’s desire to assist the earthquake-stricken country “as much as is required.” Gallant ordered the Israeli military to prepare to provide Morocco with humanitarian aid. Israel and Morocco normalized relations in 2020 and have recently moved to deepen their diplomatic and security ties.
Moroccan Senate president Enaam Mayara was scheduled to be the first Moroccan official and one of the few Muslim leaders ever to set foot in Israel’s Knesset, or parliament, earlier in the week but called off the visit to Israel at the last minute due to a medical emergency.