Guinea: Several killed in protests against new constitution
(DW) – Guinea’s continued crackdown on opposition protests lead to several deaths on Monday. Police opened fire on demonstrators opposing a new constitution that could allow President Alpha Conde to run for a third term.
Police face off against a group of protesters in Conakry
Thousands of opposition supporters, civil society groups and trade unionists had gathered on Monday for nationwide demonstrations and strikes. The coalition, known as the Guinean Organisation for the Defense of Human Rights, were protesting against the president’s bid to adopt a reformed constitution that could extend his time in office beyond the end of his mandate in 2020.
Police shot tear gas and live bullets at protesters as they ransacked military posts, threw stones and blocked roads with burning tires in the outskirts of the capital, Conakry.
Opposition leader Cellou Diallo told reporters that four people were shot by security forces in the capital on Monday and at least 38 people were wounded.
Guinea’s Red Cross also said that four protesters had been killed, adding that at least 20 people had bullet wounds.
Residents in the Wanindara district of Conakry, told The Associated Press they witnessed two young men being wounded by bullets shot by men in National Gendarmerie uniforms.