Two people in England test positive for China virus in first confirmed cases
By Paul Gallagher
Two members of the same family have tested positive for the coronavirus in England with the confirmation announced just as dozens of Britons were flown home from China on Friday to escape the outbreak.
Public Health England (PHE) confirmed that the two people taken ill had been staying at the StayCity apartment-hotel in York when they became unwell. The hotel remains open for business but their apartment will be thoroughly disinfected, the company said.
The pair are being treated by Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust in its specialist Airborne High Consequences Infectious Disease Centre (HCID). It is understood that they travelled to the UK from China recently and are undergoing treatment at the Newcastle Royal Victoria Infirmary.
Professor Sharon Peacock, director of the National Infection Service at PHE, said officials are tracing people who had “close contact” with the confirmed cases although she admitted to having “no idea” how high that number might be.