Gov’t Drop Charges Against Former CBL Governor J. Milton Weeks in LD16 Billion Case
Barely three weeks after charges leveled against four former officials of the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) were dropped for their alleged individuals roles in the alleged missing L$2.6 billion and subsequent plan by state prosecutors to arrest members of the board of directors, the latest news coming from the Court has disclosed that charges leveled against the former CBL Governor, J. Milton has been dropped.
The government took the action on last month, May 13 when they petitioned the Criminal Court ‘C’ at the Temple of Justice about its interest to drop charges that include economic sabotage, criminal conspiracy and criminal facilitation against Sirleaf, Director for Finance, Dorbor M. Hagba, Director for Operation, Richard H. Walker and Deputy Director for Internal Audit, Joseph Dennis, but leaving out former CBL Executive Governor Milton A. Weeks to account for the alleged missing money.
Today, the former Governor of the Central Bank of Liberia (CBL) was cleared by Criminal Court Judge Yamie Quiqui Gbeisay noting that his decision to drop the charges against, J. Milton Weeks was based on government lawyers application filed to the court (Criminal Court C) to nullle prosequi the case.
The charges which include Money laundering, Economic Sabotage, Criminal Conspiracy and Criminal Solicitation were dropped against the former CBL boss on Monday, June 8, 2020.
However, Judge Gbeisay decision to drop the charges against the former CBL governor was based on government lawyers application filed to the court (Criminal Court C) to nullle prosequi the case.
The charges were leveled against the former CBL boss along with Charles E. Sirleaf and others in connection to the missing “L$16 Billion” saga.
In his ruling, Judge Gbeisay granted the prosecution application to nulle prosequi the case since the defense team did not object to the prosecution’s application.
Judge Gbeieay said the former CBL governor is now freed of the criminal charges leveled against him by the State.
“In view of the above facts and circumstances, the prosecution for nulle prosequi obviously not been opposed to, said request is hereby granted,”Judge Gbeisay said.
The former CBL governor and Charles E. Sirleaf along with others were Indicted by the grand jury of Montserrado County in 2019 in connection to the missing L$16 Billion saga to face trial.
But they all have been set freed by the government of Liberia based on a new Indictment that has been drawn against the CBL board of directors.