From; E. Varney Kamah Correspondent Maryland County
Several residents including officers of Liberia National Police, the Liberia Immigration Service, some students of the William V.S. Tubman College and others were made homeless as a result of fire disaster on Wednesday, June 16, 2022 in Harper, Maryland County.
According to our Maryland County Correspondent, despite of effort by Community dwellers to put up the fire, their quest did not yield any fruitful results, as properties of the victims burnt to ashes.
Some of the victims who spoke to our Correspondent expressed sadness, noting that all their belongings and important documents were completely destroyed by the fire.
The victims called on humanitarian organizations, both local and International NGOs to come to their rescue, Harriet K Collins in tears explained to our Corespondent.
The “Birthday ‘89” Motel was constructed in 1989 for the birthday celebration of then President Samuel Doe.
Expects who spoke to the GNN said the fire may have been the cause of a gas cooker allegedly left burning by another female occupant, but this cannot be independently confirmed.
The building had been used by the United Nations Military Mission to Liberia (UNMIL) as a mess hall but was occupied (after 2017 when UNMIL drew down their mission) by some members of the Liberia Immigration Service and other state security personnel because there is no barracks for them.
Several Citizens in the County blamed the Liberia Fire Services detachment in Maryland County inability to respond to such incidents timely. It can be recorded that early this year three houses got burned in Maryland Commercial City Pleebo, and there was no quick response of the Fire Services detachment in the County.
Several residents in Harper according to our Corespondent described the saddy incident in the County as frustrating and a complete setback to their lives of the Victims, Fortunately, No one was reported dead or injured during the fire outbreak