Brazil’s Bolsonaro may need emergency surgery for obstructed intestine

France 24

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will travel to Sao Paulo to undergo tests and could receive emergency surgery, the president’s office said on July 14 2021. © Adriano Machado, REUTERS

Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro will travel to Sao Paulo to undergo tests for an obstructed intestine, and could receive emergency surgery, the president’s office said on Wednesday, in his latest health complication from a 2018 stabbing.

Bolsonaro, 66, went to the military hospital in Brasilia early on Wednesday, with the president’s office initially saying it was to undergo tests for chronic hiccups.

But later on Wednesday, the president’s office said Antônio Luiz Macedo, the surgeon who operated on Bolsonaro in 2018, had decided the president should go to Sao Paulo for additional tests to investigate the obstructed intestine, and possible emergency surgery.

Bolsonaro nearly died after being stabbed in the gut on the campaign trail in 2018, resulting in multiple follow-up surgeries.

On Twitter after the news of his transfer to Sao Paulo, Bolsonaro said he was confronting “one more challenge” and thanked people for their prayers.

Read more of this report

(Visited 25 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 14980 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*