US reaches out to North Korea again for policy briefing

By Lee Ji-yoon*

(AP-Yonhap)

(The Korea Herald) – The US government last week reached out to North Korea again to explain the outcome of its policy review on Pyongyang, and the North responded to confirm the contact, according to diplomatic sources on Tuesday.

Even though North Korea didn’t immediately accept the overture for dialogue, its response, first in months, is raising expectations about the possible resumption of the stalled talks between Washington and Pyongyang.

There had been multiple attempts for the US to reengage with the North over the past year. But no meaningful contact has been exchanged, including two overtures denied in recent weeks.

On April 30, the White House confirmed the completion of its monthslong policy review on North Korea, indicating a more practical and gradual approach to dealing with nuclear-armed North Korea.

It said the new strategy will not focus on achieving a grand bargain, an approach during the Trump administration, nor will it rely on Obama’s strategic patience approach. Both approaches failed, and North Korea has further advanced its nuclear arsenal.

South Korea also welcomed the new approach, touting it as the outcome of close consultations between the two governments.

With more details of the new policy soon to be revealed, its success largely depends on how North Korea responds.

“The time for long deliberations is coming to an end. It is time to take action,” South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Monday in his speech marking his fourth year in office, referring to the completion of Washington’s North Korea policy review.

He also urged North Korea to return to the negotiation table: “I hope that we will be able to build peace and move toward prosperity together. We have seen clear potential for issues to be solved diplomatically.”

Read more of this story

About Cholo Brooks 14633 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*