Taliban warns of counterattacks as May 1 deadline for US troop withdrawal passes

By SUSANNAH GEORGE AND SHARIF HASSAN | The Washington Post |

Afghan commandos watch as mortar shells pound Taliban positions March 10, 2021, in Kapisa, a province northeast of Kabul, Afghanistan. Attacks on Afghan troops and police by militant groups and insider attacks were up sharply in the first three months of 2021, the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction said in a report.
J.P. LAWRENCE / STARS AND STRIPES

KABUL, Afghanistan — The Taliban issued a warning to U.S. and NATO forces of possible counterattacks as the original May 1 deadline for the complete withdrawal of foreign troops passed, stoking fears of increased violence in response to President Joe Biden’s extension of the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan to Sept. 11.

Taliban fighters are prepared to “take every counteraction” that the movement “deems appropriate against the occupying forces,” said Zabiullah Mujahid, a Taliban spokesman, in a statement Saturday. Mujahid said the group’s leadership had not yet made a decision on how to respond to the delayed pullout and its fighters would not act before a consensus is reached.

Afghans are bracing for an increase in violence as foreign forces withdraw from the country, and the Pentagon has warned that U.S. forces may be at risk of attack with the May 1 deadline’s passage.

An intensified diplomatic push is aiming to secure a peace deal between the Taliban and Afghan government before the withdrawal is complete, but there have been no announcements of progress.

Afghanistan has already seen an uptick in violence in recent days. Taliban fighters overran a small Afghan army base on the edge of Gazni’s provincial capital Saturday, south of Kabul. And Friday night, a truck bombing in neighboring Logar province killed at least 21 people and injured 91, according to the Interior Ministry. All the victims were civilians, many students, as the attack occurred near a university prep dormitory, the statement said.

Read more of this report

(Visited 24 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 14494 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*