Prince Faisal bin Abdullah was arrested without charge in March and is being held incommunicado, says rights group
By MEE staff
Saudi Arabian authorities have been holding a son of the late Saudi King Abdullah since March and have refused to disclose his whereabouts, Human Rights Watch (HRW) said on Saturday.
Prince Faisal bin Abdullah is apparently being held incommunicado and may have been forcibly disappeared, the New York-based rights group said, citing a source with close ties to the royal family.
“Despite waves of criticism, the lawless behaviour of Saudi authorities during the de facto rule of Mohammed bin Salman continues unabated,” said Michael Page, deputy Middle East director at Human Rights Watch, referring to the Saudi crown prince.
“Now we have to add Prince Faisal to the hundreds detained in Saudi Arabia without a clear legal basis.”
Security forces arrived on 27 March at Prince Faisal’s compound northeast of Riyadh, where he had been self-isolating due to the coronavirus pandemic, and detained him without charge, HRW said.