Twelve of 14 students who sustained injuries at the Bong County Technical College (BCTC) in a stampede have been discharged from the Phebe Referral Hospital in Suacoco District.
The students got injured when a false alarm was raised that the school building was on fire due to electrical shock, sparking a massive rush to vacate the building.
According to sources, the affected students, following the incident, were immediately rushed to the C.B. Dunbar Hospital in Gbarnga, but were later transferred to the Phebe Referral Hospital for further treatment.
The remaining two students, according to reports, are still undergoing medical care.
Speaking to journalists via mobile phone from BCTC, Dean of Students James Saybay said the false alarm caused the students to panic and run helter-skelter.
He said the college has launched an investigation into the situation, but could not say when the exercise will be concluded.
According to Saybay, the purpose of the investigation is to uncover facts surrounding the incident, noting, “The building is still solid and having around 900 students you expect in any such human gathering just what happened.”
According to the Dean, findings of the probe will be made public when submitted to the administration.
The Dean of Students indicated that normal activities at the BCTC resumed following three days of closure at the time the students were writing their exams.
BCTC is located in the Gboveh Hill Community in Gbarnga City. It was built in 2010 to provide higher education for young people in Bong County.
The three story building has three emergency exits and three entrances on the ground floor.