As the 2017 general and presidential elections draw closer, and the deadline for the submission of political aspirants by the National Elections Commission creeps in, Senator Oscar Cooper, an independent presidential candidate has finally chosen his running mate in his bid for the nation’s presidency.
Attorney Wonderr K. Freeman, one of Liberia’s respected financial crimes investigators and a legal practitioner was named today, July 22, 2017 at an elaborate program held on the farm of Senator Oscar Cooper located on the Monrovia/Kataka highway.
In his statement to showcase and explain the reason why Attorney Freeman was selected as his running mate for the upcoming October 10, 2017 presidential election, Senator Cooper expressed joy to journalists, and said he was proud to have selected Attorney Freeman who he described as one of the country’s most talented and industrious young Liberians who is willing to serve his people and country.
He boasted that the Cooper & Freeman ticket will be the best solution for Liberians who are anxious to see Liberia change for the better, and void of those things that will have the propensity to derail the progress of Liberia and its people.
He said Attorney Freeman and him share the same dreams; making sure that the people of Liberia benefit from their resources which were enjoyed by a few handful of people who are parading the corridor of power selfishly, while majority drowns in abject poverty.
For his part, Attorney Freeman, former employee of the Financial Crimes Intelligent Unit (FCIU) said he is overwhelmed of the yearlong advocacies of Senator Cooper; making sure that Liberians benefit from the nation’s resources, and that the high level of corruption in government and other vices are drastically reduced in the Liberian society.
He also assured the Margibi County Senator of his commitment to serve the people of Liberia, and further vowed that the Cooper/Freeman ticket will make the difference when elected as Liberia’s next President and Vice President after the 2017 historic elections.
The occasion which was colorful was witnessed by wives of both candidates, while supporters mostly youth group of the Oscar Cooper’s presidential bid were also there to witness the occasion.
Below is the full text of Attorney Wonderr K. Freeman’s CV:
Lawyer, Accountant, with 14+ years of experience in both the public and private sectors
AREA of EXPERTISE
- Law – international trade/investment law, financial services regulation, international business law
- Public Policy – anti-corruption strategy/policy, anti-money laundering (AML/CFT) strategy/policy, public sector management
- Business & Finance – accounting, financial management, financial analysis and corporate finance
- Member, Association of Certified Financial Crimes Specialist, ACFCS, USA (2016- present)
- Member, Liberia National Bar Association [LNBA] (2013 – Present)
Member also of the LNBA Audit Committee (2015 – Present)
- Member, Society for International Economic Law, UK (2013 – Present)
- Co-Chairperson/Member, GIABA [ECOWAS] Working Group on [Anti-Money Laundering & -Counter Financing of Terrorism] Risk-Trends and Methods (Typology Group) (2014 – 2016)
- LLM International Trade and Investment Law, 12/2014, IDLU, Faculty of Law
UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA, Pretoria, South Africa
- LLB Law, 12/2012, Louis Arthur Grimes School of Law, UNIVERSITY OF LIBERIA,Liberia
- MBA Finance, 07/2007, Cuttington University Graduate School, Monrovia, Liberia
- BBA Accounting/Economics, 12/2001, UNIVERSITY OF LIBERIA, Monrovia, Liberia
March 2017 to May 2017 EXPERT/TRAINER, Financial Crimes Investigation (CONSULTANCY)
Management System International (a USAID anti-corruption project support to Liberia)
- Provide training in financial crimes investigation and assets forfeiture law and procedure to prosecutors from Ministry of Justice (MOJ), tax auditors, GAC auditors, analysts and lawyers from Liberia Revenue Authority (LRA), investigators from the (Liberia Anti-Corruption Commission (LACC) and analyst and compliance officers from the Financial Intelligence Unit of Liberia (FIU)
NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENT – designed course modules on legal aspects of financial crimes investigation and prosecution and on the law and procedure of assets forfeiture
|August 2014 to April 2017, Legal Affairs MANAGER / FINANCIAL INTELLIGENCE UNIT OF LIBERIA|
|· Draft detailed legislations and regulations to ensure substantive and procedural compliance to Liberia’s nascent Anti-money laundering and counter-financing of terrorism legal regime
· Advise FIU on all legal and regulatory matters, including but not limited to anti-money laundering and counter-financing of terrorism (AML/CFT) laws, procedures, and prosecutions, and other implementation of AML/CFT especially on matters relating to financial crimes intelligence gathering, criminal assets recover, seizures and procedures
· Coordinate and facilitate requests for international legal cooperation and, ensure Liberia’s compliance to regional and global standards as regard AML/CFT legal issues.
NOTABLE ACHIEVEMENTS –
ü Primarily responsible for the drafting and introduction of (4) new Regulations issued by the GOL in 2015 that brought Liberia on par with global AML/CFT standards applied across the global financial services industry
ü Primarily responsible for the drafting and introduction (3) laws approved by the Liberia’s National Legislature on terrorism/terrorist financing that ensured Liberia’s compliance to international standards as mandated by various resolutions issued by the UN Security Council
Jan 2015 to Dec 2016 Legal Consultant/Staff Attorney, Law Offices of Sayeh and Sayeh –
A law firm specializing in property, civil, commercial litigation labor, and other business services, Monrovia, Liberia
|PREVIOUS WORK EXPERIENCE
Jan. 2009 to Jun 2013
Auditor/Team Leader – Assets Verification / LIBERIA ANTI-CORRUPTION COMM.
Verification of asset [declarations] of public officials
Anti-graft investigations and prosecution assistance
Ensuring Adherence to LACC/GOL Policies
Drafting Management Policy
|Oct. 2006 to Dec. 2008||Finance Manager / GOVERNANCE COMMISSION (GG)|
|Budgeting, Expenditure and Internal Control and Facilitation of External Audits
Financial Statement Preparation and Reporting, including reports to donor and other development partners
Logistics and Supplies Management,
|Nov. 2004 to Sep. 2006
| Finance Officer / PLANNED PARENTHOOD ASSOCIATION OF LIBERIA (PPAL)
Program Budgeting and Expenditure and Internla Control,
Not-for-Profit Financial Statement Preparation and Reporting,
Logistics and Supplies Management, Donor Reporting, Facilitation of External Audits
|Feb. 2002 to Oct. 2004
Financial Analyst / LIBERIAN BANK FOR DEVELOPMENT AND INVESTMENT (LBDI)
Financial Analysis (cost & cost benefit), Expenditure and Profit analysis
Financial Statement and Investment Analysis, Treasury Management
|Dr. Femi Soyeju||Mr. Othello F Sherman||Rev. James K. Kinsley|
|Coordinator/Intl Dev. Law Unit, CHR, Faculty of Law
University of Pretoria. South Africa: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: +27.78 432.8389
|Sr. Vice President Credit Division
Liberian Bank for Dev. And Investment 9th Street Monrovia, Liberia: email email@example.com
|Program Manager/Education and Prevention
Liberia Anti Corruption Comm. Congo Town, Monrovia, Liberia
|OTHER VOLUNTARY PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
· Blogger/Columnist (Global News Network) column titled: Law and Governance according to WK Freeman) – Current
· Talk Show Host (Economic Justice Roundtable) – 2012-2013
· Guest Speaker – Commencement Convocation of the (Amos Tabior Institute) 2014
· President – Law Student Association (Louis Arthur Grimes School of Law, University of
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS – Academic Thesis
A Critical Analysis of ECOWAS Power Infrastructure Schemes As a Model for Regional Integration in Africa, 11/2014 Faculty of Law, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa.
The Economic Impact of Dollarization on the Liberian Economy (2000-2005): A Case Study of Liberia’s Dual Currency Policy, 07/2007 Cuttington University Graduate School, Cuttington University, Monrovia, Liberia
SELECTED WORKSHOPS AND TRAININGS –
§ UNODC/WACAP training titled: Law and Procedure of International Legal Cooperation in Criminal Matters, Monrovia, Liberia March 27-29, 2017 .
§ UN Counter Terrorism Implementation Task Force training titled: Terrorist Designation and Assets Freezing Workshop, Praia, Cabo Verde, May 9-10, 2016
§ University of Pretoria, Centre for Human Rights training titled: African Human Rights in Comparative Perspective Course, Pretoria, South Africa, Oct 21-25 2013
§ US [Government] Regional Inspector General (USAID) training titled: Financial Audits of USAID Programs, USG auditing standards, fraud awareness, and performance audits, Monrovia, Liberia, March 24-26, 2009
RECENT PUBLICATIONS – News articles, websites and blogs
§ Why I support dual citizenship and citizenship for non-negroes in Liberia, www.gnnliberia.com April 2017
§ Sorry PATEL, fixing the Liberian economy still has to be done the old fashion way! www.gnnliberia.com April 2017,
§ Much more than an election hurdle, an analysis of Liberia Code of Conduct Law of 2014, www.gnnliberia.com March 2017 .
§ The Gambia political crisis, some lessons from international law, www.gnnliberia.com Jan 2017 .
§ The Speaker Tyler Saga, when the law is simply not enough. www.gnnliberia.com August 2016 .
RECENT CONFERENCES, SEMINARS AND TRAININGS
§ May 2016 – Praia, Cabo Verde, Workshop on the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 2253
§ July 2016 – Saly Portudal, Senegal, Typologies workshop on money laundering relating to the counterfeiting of pharmaceutical products,
§ July 2016 – Saly Portudal, Senegal, Typologies workshop on Terrorist Financing in West and Central Africa
§ GIABA Technical Commission/Plenary meetings – Member, GIABA Working group on Risks Trends and Methods (GIABA-RTMG), attended the 24th, 25th, 26th and 27th Plenaries,
OTHER SPECIAL SKILLS AND APTITUDES
Proficient User of MS Office applications Excellent Human Relations Skills; Excellent Interpersonal Communication Skills; Excellent Writing and Composition Skills; Intermediate level French Speaker