Guwahati, September 3 : Banned insurgent group of Khaplang faction of National Socialist Council of Nagaland (NSCN-K) ambushed a convoy of Assam Rifles in Zunheboto district of Nagaland on Friday evening.
The incident took place between the area of Ghokishe and Luvishe villages in the district.
According to the reports the militants had ambushed a four vehicle convoy of Assam Rifles in which at least four security personnel were injured.
Meanwhile, NSCN-K claimed that at least 8-10 security personnel were killed while several others injured in the attack by Naga guerrillas.
But the official sources said only four security personnel were injured.
NSCN-K leader Isak Sumi claimed that one of the four vehicles had rolled down and Naga guerrillas being fired from a close range and maximum occupants of the vehicle were possibly killed.
But the Nagaland government and defence sources said that four security personnel were injured and nobody was killed in the attack.
“NSCN-K’s claim was baseless and they are trying to spread reaumur,” an official of Nagaland government said.
This is the third attack on security forces by the banned Naga insurgent group in past a month.
Earlier, NSCN-K had attacked the Assam Rifles personnel along the Nagaland-Myanmar border and at a remote area under Changlang district in Arunachal Pradesh last month.
(Reporting by Hemanta Kumar Nath)