Bomb blast at wedding in Turkey’s south, dozens killed, 94 injured, governor’s office says

Relatives grieved together after the late night militant attack. (Credit: AFP)
Relatives grieved together after the late night militant attack. (Credit: AFP)

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says a bomb attack that killed dozens of people and left scores more wounded at a wedding near the Syrian border was “likely” carried out by Islamic State.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says a bomb attack that killed at least dozens of people and left scores more wounded at a wedding near the Syrian border was “likely” carried out by Islamic State.

The explosion — which officials said could have been triggered by a suicide bomber — in the city of Gaziantep was the latest attack to have rocked the key NATO member in a horrific year that has seen strikes blamed on Kurdish and Islamist militants as well as a bloody botched coup last month.

Gaziantep governor Ali Yerlikaya said in a statement that 50 people had been killed and 94 wounded in “an abhorrent terror bomb attack on a wedding” late on Saturday night (local time). READ MORE OF THIS REPORT

SOURCES: NewsNow/ ABC Radio Australia

(Visited 74 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 14342 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.