The operation took effect on June 17 and 18 and included searches in dozens of houses, 152 garages throughout 16 communes in Brussels, Flanders, and Wallonia.
In an official statement, the federal prosecutor’s office said, “In connection with a criminal investigation concerning terrorism… 40 persons were taken for questioning. Twelve among them were arrested. The investigating judge will decide on their possible detention later today.”
The search was conducted in relation to the Brussels attack that led to the deaths of 32 people after terrorists struck the airport and metro, in an attack that was claimed by ISIS.
The prosecutor’s office said, “The investigatory results necessitated an immediate intervention. The investigation continues. In the interest of the investigation, currently no further details can be given.”
The office added that no arms or explosives had been found in the overnight raids.
Flemish broadcaster VTM reported that the people arrested were suspected of planning an attack during one of Euro 2016 matches of Belgium.
Even Belgian newspaper Le Soir reported that areas where fans watch matches in Brussels, were potential targets, along with other crowded areas such as shopping centres and stations.
The statement added that the operation went on smoothly. Molenbeek, which has become notorious for its links to jihadists was one of the communes that were raided by the police. READ MORE OF THIS STORY