Egypt releases images of crash wreckage, investigation still ongoing

war{BNN / CAIRO, Egypt} – Hours after Egyptian Military released first images of the EgyptAir crash wreckage, the country’s President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi has said that investigation is on to identify the cause of the crash.

Sisi however clarified that the process could take a long time, but promised that all facts would be made public at the earliest. He further added that “all possible scenarios were still being considered.”

Reports claimed that this was the Egyptian President’s first public remarks since the crash on May 18 in which Sisi said, “This could take a long time but no one can hide these things. As soon as the results are out people will be informed.”

Sisi also said that an Egyptian submarine with a capacity to operate at a depth of 9842 feet below the surface, belonging to the country’s Oil Ministry was headed to the crash site.

Meanwhile, the French air accident investigation agency has made another insightful revelation related to the crash. Investigators claimed, “Shortly before it disappeared off radar screens, the plane sent a series of warnings indicating that smoke had been detected on board.”

They further reportedly added, “The signals did not indicate what caused the smoke or fire but they offered the first clues as to what unfolded in the moments before the crash. Until now all scenarios are possible.”

Amidst these revelations, Egypt further revealed images from the wreckage, posting them on the chief military spokesman’s Facebook page.

Egyptian navy said that they found human remains, wreckage and the personal belongings of passengers, along with some airline life jackets with EgyptAir prints and even seat belts. The wreckage was reportedly found floating in the Mediterranean about 290 km north of Alexandria.

Search crews from Egypt and five other countries, Greece, Britain, France, Cyprus and the United States are said to be scouring for further wreckage. They are still said to be searching for the black boxes with the flight data and cockpit voice recorders however to get to the bottom of the issue.

Some reports claimed that investigators were also looking more closely at the passenger list to lock in on clues for possible terrorist involvement – even though no terrorist organisation has claimed the crash so far.

(Visited 63 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 15568 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.