According to reports, Russian Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu told a Defence Ministry meeting broadcast on state television that the attacks could begin as early as May 25 and would be coordinated with the Syrian government.
He said, “We believe the adoption of these measures will allow a transition to a peaceful process to be achieved in the entire territory of Syria. Of course, these measures have been coordinated with the leadership of the Syrian Arab Republic.”
Shoigu said that the matter had been discussed with U.S. military experts based in Jordan and other counterparts in Geneva. But the U.S. said that it was not interested in the proposal.
Pentagon spokesman Capt. Jeff Davis told reporters, “Nothing’s formally been presented to us. I can only tell you from where I sit, and from where we sit today that we do not collaborate or coordinate with the Russians on any operations in Syria. We don’t have military-to-military relations with Russia.”
The U.S. suspended military relations with Russia after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and annexation of Crimea.
The military talks between U.S. and Russia on Syria have been constricted to avoiding accidental conflict between the two groups in Syria.
However, both countries are against the al-Qaeda linked Nusrat Front, which was not included in the ceasefire deal. READ MORE