Ecuador Quake Death Toll Rises to 350

ja{VOA News} – The death toll from a massive earthquake in Ecuador has risen rose to 350, as rescuers continue to pull bodies from flattened buildings.

Officials fear the death toll could continue to rise from the 7.8-magnitude earthquake, which struck Ecuador’s northwest coast late Saturday.

“Many people remain buried under the rubble,” according to Ecuadorian Red Cross spokesman Diego Castellanos who says the death toll is likely to rise.

“I cannot say by how much [the death toll] will increase but I am afraid it will,” Castellanos told VOA by telephone from the capital, Quito.

More than 2,500 people were injured when the 7.8-magnitude quake struck Ecuador’s northwest coast late Saturday. READ MORE OF THIS STORY

 

(Visited 74 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 14335 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.