Man Diagnosed With Rare Lassa Fever Dies in U.S. After Liberia Trip

A New Jersey man died Monday evening after been diagnosed with Lassa fever — an infectious disease from West Africa that is rarely seen in the United States, a federal health official said.

According to NBC Online News, the man recently returned from Liberia, arriving at New York City's JFK International Airport on May 17. He grew critically ill after his return, suffering from multiple organ failure, said Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta.

Health officials said they don't think the case is cause for public alarm. Lassa fever is not spread through casual contact. About a half dozen other cases have been diagnosed in travelers from West Africa in the past, and none of them ever spread the illness person-to-person, Frieden said.

But as a precaution, the CDC and New Jersey health officials are trying to track down and monitor anyone the man was in contact with during the past week, including health workers at two New Jersey hospitals and people who sat close to him on his recent flight from Morocco to New York.

The illness is commonly seen in West Africa, in some of the same countries struck by the recent Ebola epidemic. This last confirmed case of Lassa fever seen in a traveler returning to the United States was in Minnesota last year. The one before that was in Pennsylvania in 2010.

CDC officials declined to give the name or identifying information about the man, other than to say he frequently traveled to Liberia on business and had worked in the mining industry. CDC officials on Monday also declined to name the New Jersey hospital where the man first went for care, or to a second New Jersey hospital where he was to have been treated with ribavirin, an antiviral medication given intravenously. But officials say the patient died before he could receive the ribavirin, noting the hospital was securing the medication at the time of the man's death.

The patient had no symptoms during the flight, but a day later went to a New Jersey hospital suffering from a sore throat and lethargy.

Hospital officials said they had asked the man about his travel history and that he did not say he had recently been to West Africa, CDC officials said.

Three days later he had returned to the hospital with more severe symptoms. He was transferred to the second hospital Saturday. On Monday, CDC lab tests of the patient's blood confirmed Lassa fever.

The CDC plans to send a special response team including a Lassa fever expert and specialists in occupational safety and waste management to the second hospital Tuesday.

Lassa fever was named after a Nigerian town where Western-trained doctors first noted it in 1969. An estimated 100,000 to 300,000 infections occur in West Africa each year, including about 5,000 deaths. In some areas of Sierra Leone and Liberia, 10 to 15 percent of people admitted to hospitals every year have Lassa fever.


(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.