Portugal slams UK decision to leave it off quarantine list as ‘absurd’

Rory Sullivan, CNN |

Photo credit: www.localnews8.com

People enjoy the warm weather at the Dona Ana beach in Lagos on April 18, 2018 in the southern Portugal region of Algarve.

(CNN) — The Portuguese government has denounced the British government’s decision not to lift quarantine for people traveling from mainland Portugal as “absurd” and “senseless,” saying the UK has seven times more coronavirus cases than it does.

Augusto Santos Silva, the country’s Minister of Foreign Affairs, said Portugal was “very disappointed” to have been excluded from a list of countries from which travelers will be exempt from spending two weeks in isolation after arriving in England.

The exemption list, which was published by the UK government on Friday and will come into effect on July 10, includes 59 states and 14 British Overseas Territories.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4 on Friday, Santos Silva said: “We are very disappointed with this decision of the British authorities. We think it’s senseless and unfair. It’s quite absurd.

“The United Kingdom has seven times more cases related to Covid-19 than Portugal, so we think this is not the way in which allies and friends are treated,” he added.

Source: CNN

(Visited 25 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 13208 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.