COVID-19: Namibian president bans new cars for government officials till 2025

By Nurudeen Lawal |

President Hage Geingob of Namibia

President Hage Geingob of Namibia has stopped the purchase of new cars for government officials till 2025. Geingob said the move will save the country 200 million Namibia dollars which will be directed to urgent priority areas

The Namibian president also directed a cap on monthly fuel consumption by public officeholders

The president of Namibia, Hage Geingob, says his government will not order a new fleet of vehicles for government officials till 2025.

President Geingob made this known in a statement he posted on Twitter on Thursday, May 14, noting that the decision is crucial as the country and the rest of the world brace up of economic effect of Covid-19.

He said through the decision the government will save 200 million Namibia dollars (about $10.8 million) which will be directed to urgent priority areas.

The Namibian president also directed a cap on monthly fuel consumption by public officeholders.

“Government will not order a new vehicle fleet for the Executive and Public Office Bearers for the period 2020-2025,” the statement reads.

“Savings of 200 million Namibia dollars (about $10.8 million) will be directed to urgent priority areas.” The statement also recalled how prudently the Geingob administration has been managing Namibia’s resources.

“By constantly directing government offices, ministries and agencies to do more with less, major savings across the government system have been achieved over the past five years since Geingob. “Government spending has been reduced by 9%, annual travel and subsistence allowances have been cut by 62%,” the statement adds.

According to the data from the World Health Organisation (WHO) African Region, Namibia has 16 confirmed cases of Covid-19 with no death.

Source: www.legit.ng

(Visited 24 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

About Cholo Brooks 12110 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.