China spends $5.87 bln on fight against coronavirus, plans to double expenses

China’s Assistant Minister of Finance Ou Wenhan stressed that the issue of financing should in no way affect the activity aimed to suppress the outbreak of the virus in Chinese regions

BEIJING, February 14. /TASS/. The Chinese government has spent 41 bln yuan (about $5.87 bln) on the fight against the novel coronavirus, planning to double the expenses to reach 80.55 bln yuan ($11.53 bln), China’s Assistant Minister of Finance Ou Wenhan said on Friday.

“We are allocating more money to facilitate the fight against pneumonia,” he said during a press conference. “We have ordered all financial bodies at all levels to prioritize healthcare and human safety.”

The official stressed that the issue of financing should in no way affect the activity aimed to suppress the outbreak of the virus in Chinese regions. He added that the Chinese government regularly improves allocation of resources.

“We will win in the fight against coronavirus, and we will implement the plan for social-economic development for the current year,” he concluded.

On December 31, Chinese authorities informed the World Health Organization (WHO) about an outbreak of an unknown pneumonia in the city of Wuhan – a large trade and industrial center in central China populated by 11 million people. The source of the outbreak is the COVID-19 coronavirus. The disease spread to 24 more countries apart from China – Australia, Belgium, Cambodia, Canada, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, India, Italy, Malaysia, Nepal, the Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Spain, Sri Lanka, Sweden, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the United States and Vietnam. WHO declared the coronavirus outbreak in China a global health emergency.

Currently, the total number of people infected with coronavirus exceeds 63,800 in China with 1,380 people reported to have died from the disease. Meanwhile, over 6,700 people are said to have recovered from it.

Read more of this report

(Visited 49 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

About Cholo Brooks 11414 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.