4 killed as Guineans protest president’s bid to extend power

Protesters set up barricades with tyres on a main road in Sonfonia District in Conakry, Guinea October 14, 2019, in this still image taken from video. Picture: Reuters TV/via REUTERS

Conakry – At least four people have been killed in Guinea’s capital after police fired tear gas and bullets Monday to disperse thousands of opposition supporters, civil society groups and trade unionists gathering in Conakry and across the country to protest the president’s bid to extend his time in office, Guinea’s Red Cross said.

President Alpha Conde’s mandate ends in December 2020, but he is seeking a referendum to allow a third term in the West African nation.

The four young men killed in Conakry Monday were all under the age of 24, Guinea’s Red Cross said Monday, which also said 20 others were wounded by bullets.

Guinea’s government said a gendarmerie was killed in Mamou, and only one person was killed in Conakry.

Residents in the Wanindara district of the capital, Conakry, told The Associated Press that two young men were wounded by bullets shot by men in National Gendarmerie uniforms.

Source:  IOL

(Visited 77 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

About Cholo Brooks 10865 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.