Sudan’s military ruler Thursday sacked the country’s prosecutor general, days after charges of corruption were brought against ousted leader Omar al-Bashir as new protests got underway.
The dismissal came as General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan’s deputy in the ruling military council announced that the mastermind behind a deadly raid on a protest camp on June 3 had been identified.
Abdallah Ahmed will replace Al-Waleed Sayyed Ahmed as prosecutor general, the official SUNA news agency reported, without giving any reason for the sacking.
Bashir appeared Sunday in front of another prosecutor to face charges of corruption and illegal possession of foreign currency.
Thursday’s sacking also comes weeks after protesters were violently dispersed on June 3 by men in military uniforms who, according to witnesses, shot and beat demonstrators who had take part in a weeks-long sit-in outside the military headquarters.
The military council has steadfastly denied it had ordered the dispersal, saying it had ordered a purge of a nearby area called Colombia notorious for “criminals” selling drugs.
The council has said the purge was carried out after a meeting of legal and security chiefs, which was attended by Al-Waleed Sayyed Ahmed.
Last week he told reporters he had attended the meeting but had left by the time the purge operation was discussed, saying: “In our presence, the dispersal of the sit-in was not even remotely discussed.”