‘Another tragedy’: Scores die as migrant boat sinks off Tunisia

UN refugee agency says 65 refugees and migrants drowned after vessel went down in the Mediterranean Sea.

The Mediterranean is the ‘world’s deadliest sea crossing’, according to the UNHCR [File: Olmo Calvo/AP]
(Aljazeera.com) – A boat carrying scores of refugees and migrants has capsized in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Tunisia, killing at least 65 people, according to the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR).

UNHCR said in a statement on Friday that 16 survivors were pulled from the water after the vessel sank “in one of the worst incidents on the Mediterranean in months”.

“This is a tragic and terrible reminder of the risks still faced by those who attempt to cross the Mediterranean,” said Vincent Cochetel, UNHCR’s special envoy for the Mediterranean.

Only four bodies have been recovered so far and search operations were ongoing, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a Twitter post.

Read more of this story

(Visited 22 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

About Cholo Brooks 9281 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.