Weah’s Comment On Missing Billions Raises Eyebrow As Liberians Ponder Over Committee’s Neutrality

President George Weah

Since President George Manneh Weah made his statement on the reported missing billions at the Dominion Christian Fellowship Center Church in Congo Town upon his arrival on Sunday, September 30, 2018 from the United Nations that the media must be called in to be a part of the investigation, Liberians who felt the President would have commended the media for exposing this missing billions sagas say they are taken aback.

Speaking at the Church with hundreds of his supporters and government officials warned people he called detractors from bringing the country to disrepute, and further lashed out of those who staged a peaceful protest to demand the bringing back of the missing containers that were allegedly used to import the sixteen billions Liberian Dollars that are reportedly missing in thin air.

Dozens of Liberians who spoke to our reporter today in Monrovia and its environs said the Liberian leader’s statement at the Church was, what they called was filled with emotions, and noted, “The President should have first called on Liberians to be patient as the committee setup will do it work and bring those who will be caught in the web to justice. This what we expected to hear from the President upon his arrival,” Samuel Dolo, Sr. of Monrovia in a chat with our staff said.

While others who also spoke to the GNN believed that the President’s statement calling on those journalists or newspapers that first discovered the issue of the missing containers be part of the probe was timely, adding, “Those journalists have more information, therefore, it is important that they come in and help in the probe,” Jacob Peters of central Monrovia and described himself as a ‘diehard’ member of the ruling CDC told our staff in an exclusive interview.

For Annie Barjebo of Paynesville, the President was too hasty in calling on the journalists to be a part of the probe, when in fact they were not approach from the early stage, “Our President should have waited to hear from the Committee that was setup to probe those initially named in the missing money sagas. So for me inviting the journalists at this time is not necessary,” Ms. Barjebo in a rather disappointing state of mind told our reporter.

(Visited 304 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

About Cholo Brooks 12206 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.