By Thomson Reuters | CBC |
Trade dispute worsening between the 2 countries after U.S. threat of additional $100 billion in tariffs
Chinese officials said Friday that the country was not afraid of a trade war with the U.S. after President Donald Trump threatened to impose an additional $100 billion US in tariffs on Chinese imports. (Mark Schiefelbein/Associated Press)
China warned it would fight back “at any cost” with fresh measures to safeguard its interests if the United States sticks to its protectionist actions, after U.S. President Donald Trump threatened an extra $100 billion US in tariffs in a worsening trade dispute between the world’s two biggest economies.
Responding to Trump’s comments, the commerce ministry on Friday reiterated in a statement that China was not afraid of a trade war even though it did not seek one, and said the conflict had been provoked by the United States.
“If the United States disregards the objections of China and the international community and persists in unilateralism and trade protectionism, the Chinese side will follow through to the end, at any cost, and definitely fight back resolutely,” a spokesperson was quoted as saying in the statement posted on the ministry’s website.
The Chinese foreign ministry issued an identical statement, which added that Beijing will continue to monitor tariff moves from the United States.
Chinese state media had earlier on Friday slammed Trump’s threat of more trade action as “ridiculous” after the U.S. president had directed trade officials to identify tariffs on $100 billion US more Chinese imports, escalating an already high-stakes trade dispute between the two nations.