Eastern Ghouta residents ‘mock’ ceasefire as killing continues

The government’s campaign to regain control over Eastern Ghouta has killed more than 500 civilians since February 18 [File: AFP]
(Al Jazeera News) Residents of Syria’s Eastern Ghouta are “mocking” a so-called ceasefire in the area, as bombardments by the Syrian government and Russia continue, according to doctors and local activists.

At least five civilians were killed on Thursday in attacks on several towns in rebel-held Eastern Ghouta – a suburb of the capital Damascus – activist Abdelmalik Aboud told Al Jazeera from the town of Douma.

Fayez Orabi, the spokesperson for the opposition’s health directorate in Damascus and its suburbs, and the UK-based monitoring group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, confirmed the numbers.

The Syrian Civil Defense – a volunteer rescue group also known as the White Helmets – said a child was killed in the attacks.

Read more of this story

Source: Al Jazeera News

(Visited 27 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

About Cholo Brooks 6609 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists.