Cease-fire goes into effect in Homs ‘safe zone’


A US military demining vehicle leads a convoy on the main road in Raqqa, Syria. (Reuters)

MOSCOW: Russia’s Defense Ministry has announced a cease-fire for a third safe zone in Syria, following talks with the Syrian opposition in Egypt.

The ceasefire between government forces and the opposition went into effect in northern parts of Homs province on Thursday.

“From 12:00 local time (0900 GMT), units of the moderate opposition and government forces will completely stop firing,” Russian Defense Ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said.

Konashenkov said Moscow and Syrian opposition groups had reached an agreement on the “operational details” of a “de-escalation zone” north of third city Homs at talks in Cairo on July 31.

Moscow has been behind a push to pacify Syria since the start of this year, after tipping the conflict in favor of the regime with its game-changing military intervention in 2015.

Under a plan hammered out in May between Russia, Turkey and Iran at peace talks in Kazakhstan, four “de-escalation zones” were to be established across swathes of Syria.

Read more of this article

Source: News Now/ AFP, AP, Reuters

(Visited 69 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 13493 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.