Lawsuit dismissed over Ebola quarantines in Connecticut

HARTFORD, Conn. — A judge has dismissed a lawsuit against Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy and state health officials over quarantines imposed on several people returning from West Africa during the 2014 Ebola epidemic.

U.S. District Judge Alfred Covello in Hartford said the state’s public health commissioner was protected from the lawsuit and the plaintiffs lacked standing to make the allegations. The ruling was released Thursday.

The plaintiffs included the Liberian Community Association of Connecticut and 10 people, including a West African family of six. They said they had no Ebola symptoms when they returned to Connecticut in 2014, but were illegally quarantined for weeks. They sought unspecified damages and a ban on similar quarantines.

Read more of this story

Source: News Now/The Washington Post/Associated Press

(Visited 57 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 13164 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.