College student from N.J. dies after choking in pancake eating contest

By Rajeev Dhir

Students and faculty at Sacred Heart University are mourning the death of a college student from New Jersey who died three days after choking during a pancake eating contest at the school, according to reports.

Caitlin Nelson, 21, of Clark, died Sunday at a Connecticut hospital, three days after taking part in a pancake eating contest at the school.

She was rushed to hospital Thursday evening during the Greek Life event, a spokeswoman from the school said in an emailed statement to NJ Advance Media.

Officers who arrived at the scene were not able to clear her airway and had to remove food from her throat, according to the Fairfield Citizen.

Police said that Nelson suffered from multiple food allergies, but it is yet unclear what caused her death, the report said.

“The SHU flag has been lowered to half-staff in Caitlin’s memory,” the statement said.

The Sunday evening Mass was dedicated to Nelson, and was followed by a candlelight vigil.


(Visited 167 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 16111 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.