UN: Over 330,000 South Sudanese receive humanitarian aid

GENEVA (11 Mar.) The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA), said that more than 338,000 people in four key flashpoint areas in central South Sudan have received humanitarian assistance since famine had been declared in the Leer and Mayiandit counties on 20 February.

Last month, South Sudan government and UN agencies said some 100,000 people were facing starvation in the two counties of Leer and Mayiandit, while people in Koch and Panyijar nearby were considered at high risk of famine.

In a statement issued in Geneva on Friday, OCHA spokesperson Jens Laerke, said over million people were on the brink of famine across the country but the humanitarian operations are hindered by local authorities.

“In the middle of the response since 20 February, 28 humanitarians had been advised to leave Mayiandit town by local authorities, following skirmishes north of the town,” Laerke said.

“Intensive negotiations had been undertaken to try to get the aid workers back, as they were critically needed in the response.  However, renewed fighting had been reported on the outskirts of the town on 1 March and the 28 aid workers had not been able to return because of the continued fighting” he added.

Read more of this report

Source: News Now/ Radio Tamazuj

(Visited 48 times, 1 visits today)

Comments

comments

About Cholo Brooks 3877 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL), including several other international organizations of journalists.