Samsung exploded in my pants and badly burned me, man alleges in suit

samsuRIDGEFIELD PARK – A California man is suing Samsung Electronics America in Bergen County, claiming he was severely burned when his cellphone exploded and caught fire in his pants, according to court documents.

The phone, a black Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, was imported through the plant at 85 Challenger Road and sold March 11 at a Best Buy store in Modesto, Calif., according to the lawsuit filed last month in Bergen County Superior Court.

Daniel Ramirez claims he traveled two months later to Akron, Ohio and was working a construction job at 9 a.m. on May 30 when he felt the phone moving in his right front pants pocket.

samsu2“Shortly after arriving to the job site, Mr. Ramirez heard a whistling and screeching sound and noticed his pocket vibrating and moving around, as well as thick smoke ascending from his pocket,” states the lawsuit, filed by Marc I. Simon of Camden.

Ramirez reached into his pocket for the phone and “immediately felt his fingers burn,” according to the suit.

“Suddenly and without warning, the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge cell phone exploded and caught fire in Mr. Ramirez’s pants – burning directly through his boxers and pants and engulfing Mr. Ramirez’s leg in flames,” the suit states.

The flaming phone “ignited his pants and melted them to his leg, leaving Mr. Ramirez in shock and extreme pain,” the lawsuit claims.

READ MORE OF THIS STORY

SOURCE: NJ.COM Online

(Visited 352 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 13201 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.