TRENTON — A long-standing murder trial in Mercer County has been pushed back once again after a witness in the case received calls from the accused killers and found threatening notes at his home, Mercer County prosecutors said Wednesday.
A jury had already been selected and opening statements were set to begin this week in the trial for accused killers Mack Edwards, Phobus Sullivan and Danuweli Keller. The men are accused of kidnapping and robbing one man in 2010 and kidnapping and killing another in 2011.
However, on Tuesday, prosecutors and defense attorneys convened in Superior Court Judge Robert Billmeier’s courtroom and decided to adjourn the trial for five months – until February – because a witness in the case was unreachable.
Prosecutors said that before the witness became unavailable, he had received calls from Keller just before the trial’s start date.
In one of those calls, Keller put Edwards on the phone, Mercer County Assistant Prosecutor Michael Grillo said, adding that the calls weren’t threatening in nature.
But it didn’t stop at the calls – the witness started finding notes at his home, which were threatening and contained language similar to that used in the calls, Grillo said.