U.S. suspends efforts to work with Russia to save Syrian ceasefire

aleppo-jpg-size-custom-crop-1086x731The move halts U.S. efforts to revive the crumbling Syrian ceasefire.

Syrians walk amidst the rubble of destroyed buildings on Oct. 3, 2016, following reported air strikes in the rebel-held town of Douma, on the eastern outskirts of the capital Damascus.

WASHINGTON—The U.S. State Department says the U.S. is suspending bilateral contacts with Russia over Syria. That comes after last week’s threat by Secretary of State John Kerry to suspend contacts amid new attacks on the city of Aleppo.

The department said in a statement Monday that Russia had not lived up to the terms of an agreement last month to restore the ceasefire and ensure sustained deliveries of humanitarian aid to besieged cities.

As part of the suspension, the U.S. is withdrawing personnel that it had dispatched to take part in the creation of a joint U.S.-Russia centre. That centre was to have co-ordinated military co-operation and intelligence if the ceasefire had taken hold. The suspension will not affect communications between the two countries aimed at de-conflicting counter-terrorism operations in Syria.

READ MORE OF THIS REPORT

SOURCE: Associated Press/The Star Online

(Visited 137 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 13201 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.