The rebel-held eastern half of Syria’s largest city was once again cut off by government advances on Sunday, a monitoring group said, as attempts by the US and Russia to close a deal on the Syrian conflict faltered.
The development means that an estimated 250,000 to 300,000 remaining residents in eastern Aleppo are again facing siege.
Before rebels broke through government lines to open a new route into the east a month ago, the UN had warned that food supplies there would only last until mid-August.
But government forces backed by Russian and Syrian air raids on Sunday captured that route, through the grounds of military academies in the city’s southern Ramousseh district, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
The government’s SANA news agency said that the military academies had been completely recaptured, cutting off all rebel transport and supply lines between eastern Aleppo and the rebel-held countryside south of the city. READ MORE OF THIS STORY
SOURCES: News Now / AboutCroatia