Israeli man convicted by Jerusalem court for murder of Palestinian teen

isrealJERUSALEM, Israel – An Israeli man was convicted by a Jerusalem court for murdering a Palestinian teenager in 2014.

Yosef Chaim Ben-David was said to be the primary suspect in the murder of Palestinian teen Abu-Khdeir.

The court rejected Ben-David’s last minute insanity plea and convicted him of the murder.

The court ruled, Yosef Chaim Ben-David properly understood what he was doing and was in full control of his actions. It added that it was well within his ability to prevent the crimes from being committed.

The district court convicted Ben-David for charges of murder, kidnapping for the purpose of murder, and battery causing bodily harm.

Ben-David will now be sentenced in early May.

The Jerusalem District Court had also convicted Ben-David’s two accomplices, both minors, to murder in November 2015.

Both the minors were sentenced in February 2016, one to life imprisonment and the other to 21 years in prison. Each minor was also forced to pay the Abu Khdeir family about $7,700 (30,000 shekels) in compensation.

Judges were also presented with evidence from the recorded re-enactment of the crime where Ben-David had “confessed in his interrogations to all the acts attributed to him in the indictment, including kidnaping and murder” and noted that he confessed to the police and during pre-trial preparations that he had made plans to kidnap and murder an Arab.

Even though the court had said that there was enough evidence to convict him, Ben-David’s conviction was deferred due to a last-minute psychiatric evaluation. The evaluation had claimed that Ben-David was not responsible for his actions at the time of the murder.

Abu Khdeir, 16, was abducted on July 2, 2014 from the Shuafat neighbourhood in East Jerusalem and driven to the Jerusalem Forest, where he was beaten and burned alive by his kidnappers. READ MORE FROM BNN

(Visited 71 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 13357 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.