Putin orders Russian forces withdrawal from Syria

putin{Big News Network.com} – MOSCOW, Russia President Vladimir Putin on Monday ordered the withdrawal of Russian forces from Syria from Tuesday, five months after the military joined Syrian government in bombing insurgents.

Russian news agency Tass reported that Putin telephoned Syrian President Bashar al-Assad to inform him of the decision to withdraw its forces from the country where deadly civil war has left nearly half a million people dead in the last five years of the conflict.

Putin is said to have told a meeting with Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu and Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov on Monday that the Russian military campaign effectively worked to create “the conditions for the start of the peace process”.

“I think that the tasks set to the defense ministry are generally fulfilled With the participation of the Russian military, the Syrian armed forces and patriotic Syrian forces have been able to achieve a fundamental turnaround in the fight against international terrorism and have taken the initiative in almost all respects,” Putin said.

“That is why I order to start withdrawal of the main part of our military group from the territory of the Syrian Arab Republic starting from tomorrow,” the Russian president said.

Putin’s order came as the United Nations special envoy on the Syria conflict, Staffan de Mistura, resumed his efforts on Monday to broker a peace deal between Assad’s forces and the array of insurgent groups aligned against him.

The Russian president expressed hopes that the start of the withdrawal of Russian troops will become a good motivation for launching negotiations between political forces of that country. He instructed the foreign minister to intensify Russia’s participation in organization of peace process in Syria.

Putin however noted that the Russian military bases in Syria’s Tartus and Khmeimim would continue operating as per the routine.

“Our bases the naval base in Tartus and the airbase at the Khmeimim airfield will operate in a routine mode. They are to be safely protected from the land, from the sea and from air,” he said.

Those Russian servicemen, he said, would stay in Syria and would be engaged in monitoring the ceasefire regime.

(Visited 59 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 13351 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.