World Trade Center Marks 23 Years Since Its Attack

victim-firefighter_1405307i{NEW YORK One/By Michael Herzenberg} – Memorial services were held today to mark 23 years since the first attack on the World Trade Center.

First rescuers and family members of those victims laid flowers at a ceremony in Lower Manhattan.

The service included a moment of silence, and a reading of victims’ names from the attack.

Earlier this morning, a prayer service was held at St. Peter’s Church, just a block away from the World Trade Center site.

Six people were killed when a 1,200 pound truck bomb exploded in a parking garage beneath the Twin Towers on Feb. 26, 1993.

More than a thousand others were injured.

Some family members we spoke to described the anger they still feel years later.

“It’s on every day. I’m angry and I’m mad because it should have never happened. They knew, and nobody did anything about it on the first bombing after it happened,” said Judy Shirtz, sister of 1993 victim Steven Knapp. “They should have taken precautions — not that it had to happen again and we had to lost another 3,000 people.”

“It’s so important to remember not just my father, and the other people who were killed back in 1993, but the people who were killed in 9/11, the people that are killed every day by terrorism around the world,” said Michael Macko, son of 1993 attack victim William Macko.

Six people were convicted in the case including Ramzi Yousef.

He’s the nephew of self-proclaimed September 11th mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed.

A noon memorial event took place at the National September 11th Memorial and Museum.

A moment of silence was held at 12:18 p.m., when the bomb went off.

After that, the names of the victims were read aloud by family members.

(Visited 847 times, 1 visits today)
About Cholo Brooks 13173 Articles
Joel Cholo Brooks is a Liberian journalist who previously worked for several international news outlets including the BBC African Service. He is the CEO of the Global News Network which publishes two local weeklies, The Star and The GNN-Liberia Newspapers. He is a member of the Press Union Of Liberia (PUL) since 1986, and several other international organizations of journalists, and is currently contributing to the South Africa Broadcasting Corporation as Liberia Correspondent.