Liberia Again To Be Declared ‘Ebola Free’ By WHO

After going through the forty-two days without any reported case, it has been announced in Monrovia that the World Health Organization (WHO) will shortly declare once again Liberia free of this deadly virus.

This disclosure was made by Liberia's Information Minister, Lewis G. Brown during the Ministry of Information regular press conference today.

On July 1, 2015 Liberian health authorities quarantined the Nedowein area where the corpse of a 17-year-old boy tested positive for Ebola, sparking fears the country could face another outbreak of the disease nearly two months after being declared Ebola-free.

More than 11,200 people have died since last year in the worst ever outbreak of Ebola, nearly all of them in three neighboring countries, Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea.

Liberia was the worst-hit, with more than 4,800 people dying, but was declared Ebola-free by the World Health Organization on May 9 after 42 days passed with no new infections.

Neighboring Sierra Leone and Guinea are still suffering, with 20 new cases reported in the week to June 21 between them.

Liberian authorities were monitoring more than 100 people to contain a new outbreak after the body of 17-year-old Abraham Memaigar tested positive for the virus on Sunday in Margibi County, a rural area about 30 miles from the capital.

He was buried the same day but the news was announced only on Tuesday. A neighbor of the boy also later tested positive.

"We have two confirmed cases today in Liberia," Dr. Moses Massaquoi, case management team leader for Liberia's Ebola task force, said.

It was not clear how the teenager caught the virus.

At the village of Nedowein, Memaigar's mud-brick home had been placed under quarantine. Health officials wearing rubber boots and gloves were going from house to house talking to residents who were confined to their homes.

A local doctor said officials had not ruled out the possibility of transmission from an animal. In past outbreaks, humans have been infected by eating monkey flesh.

There are currently no indications that the case was imported from a neighboring country and Margibi County is far from the epidemic's remaining hotspots.

Health officials in Nedowein were working to identify the contacts of the boy, who had attended school and visited a local clinic in the week before his death.

Ebola, spread through bodily fluids, is most contagious in the late stages when victims can suffer bleeding from the eyes and ears as well as vomiting and diarrhea.

Liberia helped to control the epidemic with the help of U.S. military assistance and hundreds of millions of dollars in aid.

Liberians again are anxiously awaiting the announcement by the WHO and also hope that this virus won’t again reappear in Liberia.

(Visited 37 times, 1 visits today)

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*